PATTERN 2

페이지 정보

Date. 2021. 05. 18. - 07. 07.

페이지 정보

Place. 021gallery sangdong

Contents

DETAIL
    PATTERN 2

021gallery Sangdong holds Jaewon Kang’s exhibition ‘PATTERN2’ in which he worked with the sensation shaped by digital sculpting and the exploration of the future sculpture. In this exhibition, he represents the virtual sculptures that he presented at his online solo exhibition <Trippy Trippy> in 2020 with a variety of materials such as inflatable balloons and metal. The ‘PATTERN 2’ exhibition aims to suggest the directions of the future sculpture that crossover between virtuality and reality.

Artist’s Note

I am interested in future sculpture. Usually dealing with 3D programs, I thought that the functions made for convenience and updated continuously would have an influence on the principle of constructing the sculpture, and exploration of the idea is the overall direction of my works. With interest in ‘the sense of being shaped by the digital sculpting’, I am creating works.

Sculpting on a 3D program also means that I am not restricted by the physical limitations of reality. My attitude toward sculpture or material properties thus naturally changes to some extent. Unlike general sculpturing by cutting and pasting the amount of material existing in three dimensions, I rotate it at various angles on the screen, pulls it with Move and push it with Smooth, changing the arrangement of polygons to create a shape. Since I can record my viewpoints in the past to some extent and can go back to the viewpoints in the past at any time, I can easily duplicate or modify it. Thus, unlike a method of making it according to a detailed plan from start to completion, I can sculpt in a spontaneous and accidental manner. 

Starting with the Trippy (2019), I intended to give a sense of movement, motion, and shape by adding functions of a 3D program to the basic three-dimensional figures. As mentioned earlier, by varying the three pillars, the basic components, on the basis of the fact that it is easy to duplicate and modify, I created the Trippy_2~_16.
    In the process, I added a method of creating a shape by applying functions(Deformatio: Skew, Twist, Bend, Gravity, etc.) that simulate the physical laws of reality in a 3D program to the basic three-dimensional figures. I can control the intensity of the shape numerically through the control bar. For the shapes created by chance when controlling these functions, I went back and forth between the past and the present through ‘ctrl+z’ /’ctrl+shift+z’ until a shape formed to some extent came out and then chose one. Since complete different results may come out depending on the sequence and intensity of the combination, I go through the process of careful blending.

The completed sculptures once exist as 3D files. I set the environment and lighting around the sculptures in the screen and create a rendered image or video. By setting the physical properties of the 3D file to fabric, I capture the appearance of inflatables loosing air on the screen, and give shape to them as giant sculptures in a surreal space. I released 2 works of sculpture with the Instagram face filter. In 2020, by uploading 3D files and surrounding environments to a web exhibition platform (deskdesk), I presented my online solo exhibition<Trippy Trippy>.

In reality, they can be the sculptures with a variety of materials and sizes, such as chrome-plated 3D printing, metal pieces including aluminum and stainless steel through casting, and inflatables. Through this exhibition <PATTERN 2>,I intend to in earnest present the sculptures that have been export to reality. 

021갤러리로고