Date.

페이지 정보

Place. 021gallery Sangdong

Contents

DETAIL

Axis solo exhibition

Kim Seoul

<Hollow Box Diary>

Artist Kim Seoul presents the daily lives of the cities he has witnessed when traveling to Daegu, Seoul, and Tokyo in detailed copperplates. This exhibition showcases works that are being experimented with in a variety of media, such as installation, sculpture, painting, and other mediums in the realm of printmaking, just as the box, which is often used as the key background for the artist's work, unfolds and expands.

Until now, the artist drew realistic, three-dimensional courier boxes and depicted them as the backdrops for everyday events, but for the 'Hollow Box Diary,' he did not draw a box. He created this work by folding the paper that he used for the work into a box shape, and after he was done making a three-dimensional box, he unfolded it to make it flat again. Even though the screen does not reveal the shape of a box, the box‘s traces remain as bumps on the surface as folded marks. To maximize these traces, the hollow box was photographed using the silkscreen printing technique to make the bumps stand out. The audience can sense the existence of the box through the folded marks exposed on the plane. The artist drew the images of everyday life extracted from experience and nostalgic or desired scenes that come to mind in everyday life on top of the hollow box that has been prepared in such a way.

<Hollow Box Diary> is the artist's diary, but at the same time, it will become our own diary as it makes us think about how to put our ordinary everyday life into a box.

"I have been drawing by using the metaphor of a box that has great efficiency and shape to depict the everyday life we live in cities in cubes… …

The people who live in a box (a one-room studio) rather than in a complete home are what I have been witnessing in cities. Through images of people filled in boxes, I have been drawing the dense and solitary scenes of cities as an observer. However, the great changes that have taken place in our daily lives since last year have made me look and think more deeply on each space and moment that is given to me rather than studying our daily lives as an observer." - From the artist's note

021갤러리로고